Thursday, May 28, 2009

Bye Sami!

Sami Hyypia will walk away from Anfield this weekend after 10 glorious years at Liverpool... with a promise to return

The Finnish defender has been described as a "Liverpool legend" by his manager Rafa Benitez after 463 club appearances since arriving in a £2.5million deal from Dutch club Willem II in the summer of 1999.

Hyypia, 35, agreed a two year deal with the German club after admitting he was forced to leave in search of the regular first team football he believes he is still capable of.

But he insisted he had nothing but fond memories of his time at the club, and revealed he hopes to continue his Anfield love affair after being offered a coaching role by Benitez.

"I'd like to come back to Liverpool one day as a coach, and it was great to hear the manager would like me to return," the defender explained.

"Coaching has always been in my mind, but I have to take my badges first. I haven't done that yet because I want to keep playing, and I thought at this stage it would be a burden.

"But at the end of my playing career I'll look to take the badges and then see. I've so many memories of Liverpool, and really would love to return one day."

For the pragmatic Finn, his achievements at Liverpool - the Champions League, UEFA Cup, FA Cup, Carling Cup and Super Cup - will only sink in once he has left.

Even the famously composed defender, who shows no emotion, will he hard pressed to stem the tears when he looks around the famous old stadium for the last time - as a player at least.
"I think it will only be after I've finally left that I'll be able to sit back and realise what we've done in my 10 years," said Hyypia.

"It's hard to take in now. Coming from Finland, it's not usual that you have this kind of career in one of the top teams in the world. Maybe it will only come later when I fully appreciate what I've done.

"I haven't too much time to think about it. The only thing I've been worried about this season is training hard, staying fit and doing well for the team. "But yes, it is nice to be remembered here. We've achieved quite a lot as a team and as a club and I am very happy with what we have done together.

"I've said before that the club and the fans have been so good to me. I've never had to look elsewhere because everything has always been so good for me here. It has been special."

If Hyypia has one regret, then it is failing to win the title during his time at Anfield. "I know the fans only want one thing and that's what is missing for me too," he added. "It would have been such a great achievement for the club, for the team and for me to win the Premier League, but it wasn't to be."

25 was how old he was when he signed for the Reds in May, 1999.
42 was the amount of first-team appearances he made during his debut season
10 was the minute he volleyed home the opener in our sensational 2-1 win over Juventus back in 2005.
4 is the number on his back
12 was the number he wore during his debut season in the first team
5 goals is his best tally in a season
19 was his position in Sky Sports' list of top 50 Premier League Foreign Players
38 was his position in Liverpoolfc.tv's 100 Players that shook the Kop
97 Finland caps
5 international goals
7 Finnish Sports' Journalists Player of the Year Awards
2 Finnish Cup winners' medals
1 Finnish Sportsperson of the Year Awards
190,000 That's how many votes he amassed to make it into UEFA.com's team of the year for 2001. He also made it into the World team of the year
57 The number of consecutive European games he played every minute of from 20th of November 2001 to 21st of February 2006!
87 matches in a row from January 2000 to October 2001 without a booking
7 Finnish Football Association Player of the Year Awards
1 Premier League Player of the Month Award: November 1999
463 appearances for LFC
35 LFC goals 10 pieces of silverware with the Reds
10 years
1 Sami Hyypia



0 comments: